Monday, September 19, 2011

Should I apply silicone on a metal gasket for my water pump?

I have a 2003 chevy pu 5.3 v8 and I'm changing the water pump. The gaskets that go up against the block are metal and I was wondering if I should apply silicone to them. If so should I put silicone on both sides. meaning the block and the water pump? if so how much should I applyShould I apply silicone on a metal gasket for my water pump?No.



If the gaskets are metal (most likely copper) they're high-torque gaskets. They are meant to be tightened so much that the metal actually forms to the block and water pump. Make sure to follow the torque spec's that came with the pump kit or gasket.



Silicone would only get squished out, and could end up getting stuck in the pump or engine.Should I apply silicone on a metal gasket for my water pump?NO!Should I apply silicone on a metal gasket for my water pump?no ! you don,t put nothing on the gasket. there should be a coating on the gasket and that,s what seals it.Should I apply silicone on a metal gasket for my water pump?If they're metal but coated in black stuff, then the black stuff is the silicon.



I like to put a very thin layer of liquid gasket on my wet seals (except the headgasket). Use the paintbrush and use the liquid gasket very sparingly. Point being, if you for whatever reason don't put it on with 100% of a seal or whatever, it's one more layer of protection in your cooling system.



It also glues the gasket to the part, which makes it easy to install.

No comments:

Post a Comment