Thursday, September 22, 2011

I have a mini aquarium housing 5 tiny fish (20x15x10cm). How often should I change the water?

I have a mini pump/ water filtration system, and they have pebbles where the waste/ extra food sinks down to, and a bridge. I currently change the water about every 5 days, as it stays pretty clear. Also, for a tank of that size, should I change all the water at once? I usually use half tap water, and half water that has been sitting in a bottle at room temperature for a few days. The tank is so tiny, I find there is no point to use the old water, and also I want to clean out the excretion stuck under the pebbles. As the tank is so small, a thorough cleaning is necessary.



My fish seem very healthy, and active, even chasing each other. I also have a desklamp that sits over them, and warms the water. Is that ok? or am i better off using a professional fish lamp?? They have been surviving quite healthily without a lamp previously.



Any advice would be nice!! I am getting very fond of my fish.I have a mini aquarium housing 5 tiny fish (20x15x10cm). How often should I change the water?Without knowing how many gallons the tank holds I would say that you're ok doing with what you have been doing, as long as you use a water conditioner when you add new water to the tank. Also you want to keep some of the old water in when you change the water because it keeps useful bacteria in your tank, this in turn will keep your fish alive longer. Also the desk lamp is fine to mantain the temp which should be around 75 to 80 degrees.I have a mini aquarium housing 5 tiny fish (20x15x10cm). How often should I change the water?Perry - names are: 2 biggest fish: big momma, little momma, 2 medium sized fish: #2 and #3, smallest fish: mini-me

Well... now little momma is just momma... and big momma I think I'm gonna call him Sugar/ Puff daddy cause i think he's a male, and he's much larger/ fatter than the rest.

Report Abuse

I have a mini aquarium housing 5 tiny fish (20x15x10cm). How often should I change the water?Oh also possibly WOW momma, Yo momma or Yowza!! Depending on the sex of the fish... which as I've gathered is pretty darn near impossible to tell. I mean their fins are about 0.8mm big.

Report Abuse

I have a mini aquarium housing 5 tiny fish (20x15x10cm). How often should I change the water?every week maybe?I have a mini aquarium housing 5 tiny fish (20x15x10cm). How often should I change the water?when you cant see them !I have a mini aquarium housing 5 tiny fish (20x15x10cm). How often should I change the water?Depending on the type of fish you may not need a heaterI have a mini aquarium housing 5 tiny fish (20x15x10cm). How often should I change the water?If you are getting fond of your fish, have you consider buying a new big fish tank for them? It's good to know your fish names too. Could you give us more details on those fish? When your fish are chasing each other, it could be because of their species characteristic or could be the place are overcrowded. So please look up what kind of fish you have, Gabby. I am quite sure your fish tank is too crowded for 5 fish no matter how small they are.... please give us more details on those fish.



Having said that, the smaller the size of an aquarium, the more cautious needed... Since the volume of the water isn't a lot, if anything go wrong with the water, the problem will comes almost instant. If you could buy a fish tank, the bigger the better, since it's easier to control the water condition.



I would say your water change every 5 days routine sounds good to me, but clearing out everything and re-new all water isn't good. You should save some %26quot;old%26quot; water (20-30%) before you re-add new fresh (and decholorinated) water. Why 80%-70% water change every 5 days?? It is because of the size of your fish tank is small.



If you love keeping fish as pet, I highly suggest you check out tropical fish forum, there are lots of information and friendly people to ask and talk(or brag) about our own fish tank :-)



http://www.fishforums.net/



EDIT: I've saw your other question about your %26quot;mini-goldfish%26quot; spit out fish food.... so those 5 fish are goldfish instead?... gold fish are pig (not those real pig)!! They excrete a lot.



Goldfish grows with tank size, if the size is too small, the body will stop growing once they think it's enough for them... BUT their organs won't stop growing.... so all the internal organs will crashed each other and thus we can often see goldfish die very quick.



Not because they have short lives, but instead they are being kept inside a fish bowl which barely have 2 gallon, while they need 20 gallon fish tank size per one, each additional goldfish inside the same tank after that will require another 10 gallon of water. Of course, that is for fully grown size goldfish. But fish will be a lot more happier if you allow them to grow in size right? They could live as long as 10-20 years if you take good care of them :) Good luck Gabby.



I also take back my words about using desklamp to warm the water, Because goldfish is not tropical fish. They indeed have shorter life span if they live in warmer condition.... But do check the forum I've told you to. It's full of information on fish (as pets) and friendly people :)I have a mini aquarium housing 5 tiny fish (20x15x10cm). How often should I change the water?first you shudnt use normal tap water because of chlorine use a solution in the tap water to remove this chemical.

you should only change quarter of the water every two weeks sudden change in water could be fatal to the fish .

use a aqarium vac to clean the waist out of the tank you shud always remove uneaten food from the tank every day as this cud pollute your tank.

all so buy your self a good book about aquariums as that will help you alot.

good luck with your fish and i hope it all goes wellI have a mini aquarium housing 5 tiny fish (20x15x10cm). How often should I change the water?i do gravel vacuums and water changes of maybe 80-90 % in my betta tanks -- wipe down the sides when you do it. this reduces the added stress on the fish of being netted and temporarily rehoused. just leave enough water for them to swim in. i keep a lidded garbage can full of water next to my fish so the water temp is roughly even. add it back it kind of slowly -- the hardest part of water changes on fish are the water temps. if you do this every 5 days your fish should be happy for a long time - depending on the kind of fish. a lot depends on the kind of fish you have. in a tank that small you need to make every mm countI have a mini aquarium housing 5 tiny fish (20x15x10cm). How often should I change the water?Hi Gabby-After well over a decade and a half, I have had over 7 fish tanks, some salt water, some freshwater community fish-tanks, and one freshwater tank for the fish that do not get along in the fish-world (kind of like the Siamese Beta theory: where if you mix up a bunch of them only the biggest and strongest will survive their battle of %26quot;natural fish that fight for many different reasons: their sex, you can't mix two females, etc., and many,many different reasons, including the personality of the fish.

I hope this is beneficial to you. regards

No comments:

Post a Comment