Tuesday, November 23, 2010

How do you reinstall the lower unit after changing water pump?

I have a 1985 mercury 90hp inline 6. I just replaced the the water pump, and now I am having trouble after I bolt the lower unit back on. I'm having trouble with the gears. The prop will turn the flywheel when rotated counter clockwise, but when rotated clockwise, it makes a clicking sound. When I place in N, F, R it does nothing to change this. I'm about to go nuts! can anyone help me.How do you reinstall the lower unit after changing water pump?It sounds like you have the shift dog, at the end of the shift shaft, turned out of alignment. You have to drop the lower unit and turn it until it engages forward, neutral, and reverse. Once you have it in neutral, leave it there when you put the lower unit back on. Make sure your shift is on neutral also.How do you reinstall the lower unit after changing water pump?Hate to tell you this but it sounds like you may have something in backwords or upside down. The best way to solve that I think would be Take it apart make sure you grease the berrings if you put them in dry that could have somthing to do with the click. If you have a mercury dealor somewhere close talk to them they may be able to show you pictures of what it looks like

No comments:

Post a Comment